Monday, March 30, 2009

It's not you, it's me...


There are ways to break off a relationship that are open and honest, and then there are absolute lies that both parties recognize as complete fabrications. One of those is to say this simple phrase, "It's not you, it's me." The person breaking up is trying to let the rejected party down easy. This approach is designed to not destroy the self esteem of the "victim." And it is crap.

Today we heard about the automobile industry from President Obama, and we heard about his plan to save General Motors. Among other things, the CEO was asked (ordered) to step down. Most likely Mr. Rick Wagoner was informed he would be allowed to resign, or he would be fired. The result would be the same of course, just the resume would look different. Fired looks much worse than resigned when applying for a new position.

Call me cynical, but this announcement came right before the President said, "Let me be clear: The United States government has no interest in running GM; we have no intention in running GM." Now I don't know much, but I do know that giving someone the order to terminate their employment sounds like you might be trying to run things. Just saying.

In his news conference, President Obama said, "This is not meant as a criticism of Mr. Wagoner, who has devoted his life to this company; rather it's a recognition that it will take a new vision and new direction to create the GM of the future."

So let me get this straight, you want me out but I really did not do much wrong? Sound like a line of garbage to you? I don't think it passes the smell test.

On January 2, 2001, I went to work expecting a normal day. A few hours later I was home and no longer employed. My boss decided he wanted to move in a different direction and did not feel I had the skills to perform the new duties he wanted someone in my position to have. That was his prerogative, he was the boss. As I look back, I agree with him and he did me a favor. I began to recognize and work on some things that would prepare me for such a position in the future. Certainly, I was not happy, yet never was I bitter. Essentially what he told me was it was not me, it was him and the organization as a whole would be better if someone with a different skill set was in my position. I knew my boss was a man of integrity and I believed he was serious.

Back to today: I don't know Mr. Wagoner at all. He could be a despicable human being and maybe he deserves swift and harsh punishment for poor management at GM. He could be a good man, caught up in a position in which he could not be truly successful. Union contracts and government intervention may have created a situation where Rick Wagoner was destined to fail.
Most likely, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

What I do know is when Mr. Obama said no criticism was meant of Mr. Wagoner, that is a load of crap. This was said at the same time Obama said he did not want to run GM, yet we are firing the CEO. Other changes include new members on its board. So we don't want to run General Motors, but we are going to run GM. That is the same as when someone says, "I don't want to say anything bad about that person, but..."

We have all heard things in our past that just don't add up. This speech from the President today is certainly one that does not add up.

Mr. President, I am having a difficult time believing much of what you say and agreeing with your policies. But don't worry, it's not you, it's me!







No comments:

Post a Comment